09 February 2009

Hello there

I'm not a huge fan of the Blog thing.

There seem to be too many people who think that their point of view is so fascinating and relevant that they've just got to share it with the world.

I know why - it’s the media and the internet’s fault. You get all this information, all this news that inevitably makes you concerned or angry. But the impact is all one way. You work yourself up into a state over something that’s happened on the other side of the world and you’re so disconnected from the actual event that there’s nothing you can do about it. Unless you detach yourself from things you just end up feeling impotent and useless.

So, for the people who haven’t yet come to terms with the fact that they’re nobodies, Blogs are a way of getting their point of view across – a way of pretending that they matter. I suppose it’s a good way to get everything out of your system from time to time. It’s better than letting all that frustration fester and swell until you can’t control it anymore and embark on some kind of killing spree.

However, there are a lot of people blogging who think they’re a lot more interesting than they actually are. Too many people using pompous language and needlessly long words that are usually spelt wrong – as if they were journalists writing for publication. Well, this isn't a publication; it's a blog - and nobody's reading it.

Having said that, I thought I'd stick my oar in as well.

I did the 100 words thing last month and, more than the discipline of coming up with something every day, I found that I was thinking about topics and the whole process of writing a lot more too. That’s got to be a good thing hasn’t it? Usually 100 words were enough to get across whatever I wanted to say, but occasionally I could have done with a few more. A blog isn’t so rigid in its restrictions, I can expand a bit on here. Also, it’ll be appreciated by my friends who are no doubt tired of reading lengthy, rambling, and largely irrelevant emails from me when an ‘OK, see you at 8’ would probably do. Might as well stick all that extra nonsense on here instead.

Won’t that be fun?

1 comment:

  1. What "lengthy, rambling, and largely irrelevant emails"?

    ReplyDelete